P.O. Box 64
The Theological College of Northern Nigeria, Bukuru, Plateau State was constituted on November 26, 1958 and came into being in February 1959 when classes started at Gindiri. TCNN moved to its permanent site at Bukuru and was dedicated in 1961. TCNN started with two programmes, the Diploma of Theology and Certificate in Theology (now Diploma in Christian Ministry).
The College is a private institution overseen by "Tarayar Ekklesiyoyin Kristi a Nigeria" (TEKAN), i.e. The Fellowship of the Churches of Christ in Nigeria. TEKAN is made up of thirteen different denominations found mostly in the northern part of the country. It is these denominations which are the proprietors of the College, along with the Anglican Dioceses of Nigeria and the Presbyterian Church, which are associate members of that proprietorship.
Ekklesiyar Yan'uwa a Nigeria (EYN)
Christian Reformed Church of Nigeria (CRCN)
Mambila Baptist Convention (MBC)
Lutheran Church of Christ in Nigeria (LCCN)
Nigeria Reformed Church (NRC)
Church of Christ in Nigeria (COCIN)
Evangelical Reformed Church of Christ (ERCC)
Nongo U Kristu ken Sudan hen Tiv (NKST)
United Methodist Church in Nigeria (UMCN)
Haddiyar Ekklesiyar Kristi a Nigeria,Kaduna (HEKAN)
Evangelical Church of Christ in Nigeria (ECCN)
Reformed Church of Christ in Nigeria (RCCN)
All Nations Christian Assembly (ANC)
Anglican Province of Nigeria
Presbyterian Church of Nigeria
TEKAN was founded by the national daughter churches of the Sudan United Mission and the Church of the Brethren Mission. In 1980 the College started a Bachelor of Divinity Programme along with the other two programmes. In September 1991 the College began to offer a Master's degree in theology in various subjects.
The College is situated 2 km east of Bukuru near Jos. Jos, the Plateau State capital city, is 15 km from the College. The tree-lined College campus lies at the foot of a rocky hill. The setting is both beautiful and quiet -- ideal for studying.
The College occupies about 100 acres of land. The main and original site contains fifteen staff houses and two blocks of rooms for single students -- with kitchen area and students' lounge. In the married students' quarters there are sixty-two houses. Other buildings are: Women's School, Carpentry Workshop, Dispensary, Chapel, Library, an administrative block containing offices for the Provost, Deputy Provost, Academic Dean, Administrative Officers, Bursar, Registrar and Secretaries, a textbook store and supplies room. There are also classroom blocks with an assembly hall and a bookshop.
The College has a Nursery and a Primary School to give primary education to children of staff and students. To qualify for the lower fees the children must be the parents' own blood children, not those of other members of their families. Children from the neighbourhood are also admitted. The College also has a Day Secondary School for the children of staff, those from the area around the College, and from the outlying areas of Bukuru and Jos.
Since 1980, the Theological College of Northern Nigeria has been affiliated with the University of Jos. It is recognised not only by TEKAN but also by many other church denominations as an excellent institution for the training of future ministers, both academically and spiritually.
TCNN also has a partnership with International Christian College in Glasgow, Scotland. The two schools exchange staff and students and ICC provides library support to TCNN. For more information go to http://www.icc.ac.uk/
Theological College of Northern Nigeria